Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Movie Trailers for the ESL Classroom

On way that I have incorporated technology into the ESL classroom is by having students watch movie trailers in class. During a summer class that I was teaching, I directed the students to:

http://www.english-trailers.com/index.php (I recommend this site!)

and asked them to listen to trailers for 15 mins. and pick out one that they wanted to describe to the rest of the class. Since we had already reviewed movie vocabulary (plot, characters, genres) I encouraged the students to use their "movie vocabulary" in their descriptions. I then asked other students to guess which movie had been described and to state whether or not they would want to see the movie and why/why not. This technology-based activity seemed to be fun for the students and allowed them to practice listening to and producing movie related discourses.

No comments: