Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Blogrolls and Polls

I think that blogrolls can be VERY useful when they provide links to resources that a student may want to find. For example, I wanted to find the tifle website to see what the assignment was for making this post, but I did not have a syllabus with me and could not remember which website to type in. So, I googled "tifle" and "blog" and "2008" and found Anthony's class blog...which happened to have a link to the class website in its blogroll. Thanks Anthony! Similarly, if teachers add quick links for students on a blogroll, they will likely be grateful for the time that they saved searching for the resources.

As for polls, one idea that might be interesting for students (with an educational objective as well) is voting on cultural tidbits. For example, there could be a poll that said Pennsylvania's state bird is...a) the penguin, b) the robin, c) the chickadee, d) the rough-tailed grouse. This example assumes that the target culture is Pennsylvanian culture. Then, these questions could be used as extra credit for tests. This might help students to remember cultural information and provide some incentive for visiting the class blog routinely.

3 comments:

Dr. L said...

Interesting post! As a native of PA, I know the answer to your poll, too! 10/10

Ashley said...

I like your poll idea too! I def. think it would keep the kids checking out the site and encourages their search for cultural info!

MKeith said...

Hi Nikki. Your blog is definitely sharp looking. You are right about the links. I added the TIFLE website to my blog, so that I can find it when I need it. I don't know the state bird of PA though. You'll have to help me out with that one. Do you have any ideas for your mini-project yet? See you in class tonight.