Thursday, February 7, 2008

Missing the "Point" in PowerPoint


I like the idea of embedding videos and internet links into PPs for class. For example, the PP that I posted is intended for an ESL class. I actually did a similar activity with my beginner Speaking and Listening class this past summer. However, we attempted the activity in a computer lab and I was quickly reminded about both technology's unpredictability (certain computers had Quicktime installed and others did not) and student's varying degrees of familiarity with technology (especially with a very culturally diverse group). In hindsight, I think that the lesson would've gone more smoothly if I would've used clips that were embedded in a PP.

Accordingly, I think that PP is useful when it is interesting to the students--as was watching movie trailers in class--and when it serves a purpose OTHER than allowing teachers to check off the "I used technology in my classroom" box on some course summary/evaluation form.

On using PP as an educational tool, I think that it is especially useful for presenting concepts visually. For example, it has helped me to understand syntactic concepts in classes where the discussions were rather abstract. I also believe that PP containing textual main points can be very useful for students who are overwhelmed by the verbiage of an instructor. However, I am less convinced that PP is necessary when each slide contains almost word-for-word what I speaker intends to say. Rather, I find this approach to be somewhat counterproductive as I often find myself reading ahead of the speaker and concentrating more on my boredom than on the subject at hand.

Overall, then, I believe that PP should add something to what is being said--and, for me, a verbatim read-along version of the day's lesson does not count.

3 comments:

Maya Viktorivna said...

I agree with you that PP is very helpful for presenting concepts visually. It lets ppl have an image in their head to relate to. It is also so true that the effect of PP in a culturally diverse group may be very unpredictable, While some students may be technologically-advanced others may be afraid to use computers or will be unable to concentrate on the content and will be waiting for the slides to change and for the new pictures to appear. And the last comment, PP that has a word-to-word representation of what presenter intends to say is boring for the listeners and very distracting for the presenter.

T said...

As you mentioned, having main concepts visually presented is especially helpful for ESL students. Balance is key when using PP. Balance in the amount of material included in the presentation and balance in the extent it is used in the classroom.

Dr. L said...

Great reflection on ppt - I liked the personal story you included as well. I hope it will be useful to others in the class. Nice job on the powerpoint, too! 10/10